Liu Xuerong (1st L) prepares fodder for the alpacas in Yangqu County of north China’s Shanxi Province, July 10, 2018. Liu Xuerong, a poverty-stricken farmer from Pingli Village of Yangqu County, has never dreamed of getting rich with a flock of cute alpacas. In 2014, as a breeding base of a thousand alpacas was built, Liu started embarking on cultivating those Australia-originated alpacas…Full Article: Xinhua July 2018
- The alpaca ranch in Yangqu County, Shanxi Province, earns money thru alpaca cub breeding, fleece products (e.g. clothing, blankets, and carpets), and from tourism or alpaca watching.
- As of June 2018, Australia was exporting approximately 10 MTs of alpaca fleece to China every month.
- As of January 2018, according to the president of the Australian Alpaca Association, Australia had approximately 500,000 alpacas.
- As of June 2017, China had approximately 3,000 alpacas. At the same time, Peru had roughly 3.5 million alpacas, or 80% of the world’s total supply.
- From January and September 2012, Peru exported USD 34.3 million (~9,000 MTs) worth of agricultural products to China. The primary products were alpaca yarn (USD 15 million), table grapes (USD 10.8 million), and tara (Caesalpinia spinosa) (USD 5 million).
Hong Kong Trends