The Mongolian Commodity Exchange (MCE) announced on Friday [30 March 2018] its intention to carry out cross-border trade with China’s Bohai Commodity Exchange (BOCE) starting in mid-April to help Mongolian agricultural products enter the Chinese market…Full Article: China Daily Mar 2018
A new freight train service between Caofeidian Port in north China’s Hebei Province and Ulan Bator, capital of Mongolia, was launched Monday [26 March 2018]…Full Article: ECNS.cn Mar 2018
- Mongolia has an annual cashmere production capacity of 9,400 MTs of cashmere (~27 million goats) and accounts for roughly 40% of the world’s raw cashmere supply.
- Located on the Bohai Bay near Tianjin, Caofeidian Port is a unit of Tangshan Port that was developed from reclaimed land.
- In 2017, approximately 7,000 MTs (~USD 217 million) of washed cashmere was sold on the Mongolian Commodity Exchange (MCE). Cashmere accounted for roughly 90% of MCE’s trades.
- In May 2017, it was reported that Erenhot’s railway port recently received permission from the Chinese government to import grain. Subsequently, Inner Mongolia Dongxin Agricultural Technology Development invested CNY 30 million (USD 4.4 million) in a grain depot facility that can offload dry bulk goods from trains efficiently. The facility was expected to be completed by the end of September 2017 (construction began in mid-April 2017). The company imports rapeseed and linseed from Russia, Mongolia, and Kazakhstan.
- From mid-July 2016 to mid-February 2017, according to the Nepal Rastra Bank, Nepal exported USD 201,149 worth of pashmina (cashmere wool) to China. Global pashmina production totals approximately 10,000 to 15,000 MTs annually, with China being the largest producer. In Nepal, pashmina is derived from the Chyangara goat.
- In November 2016, Bohai Commodity Exchange won a tender to acquire the Ukrainian Bank for Reconstruction and Development from Ukraine’s State Property Fund (SPF) for USD 3.3. million. The sale was finalized in June 2017.
- From January to May 2016, China exported 1,024 MTs of fresh produce to Russia via the Erenhot Customs checkpoint (Inner Mongolia and Mongolia). During the same month, the Erenhot-Rotterdam railway route (~12 days) was launched. The inaugural train transported 200 MTs of linseed expeller (aka flaxseed cake) to the Netherlands. The linseed originated from Russia and Mongolia, but was processed/loaded in Erenhot.
- In 2013, China reportedly produced 18,114 MTs of cashmere. Inner Mongolia produced 7,901 MTs or 44% of China’s total cashmere output.
- In December 2012, the Bohai Commodity Exchange opened its Dandong Corn Transaction Center in Donggang, Liaoning Province. The center was reportedly China’s first national corn spot transaction center.
- Founded in 2009 and headquartered in Tianjin Municipality, Bohai Commodity Exchange (BOCE) operates as an online digital trading platform that trades in a variety of industrial and agricultural goods including corn, tea, wine, cotton, rice, pine nuts, and cashmere, among others.
Hong Kong Trends