Police in Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region and Sichuan Province have seized 2,000 bottles of fake liquor in a joint raid, according to local authorities on Monday [5 February 2018]. Urumqi police were informed last month by police in Luzhou City, Sichuan, that a person in Urumqi had been buying packaging of brand liquor from a fake liquor plant in Luzhou…Full Article: Xinhua Feb 2018
- Law enforcement officials seized more than 2,000 bottles of counterfeit liquor, including Kweichow Moutai and Wuliangye Yibin branded liquor. Liquor consumption tends to rise in and around Chinese New Year.
- In January 2018, law enforcement officials in Guizhou Province seized and destroyed 7,488 bottles (~3.7 MTs) of fake Moutai liquor. The seizures began in March 2016 when officials discovered fake liquor in a local township. Afterwards, officials were able to seize fake bottles in the provinces of Guizhou, Zhejiang, and Hunan, as well as in the municipalities of Beijing and Chongqing.
- In January 2016, e-commerce liquor retailer VipShop was found selling fake Moutai liquor. As a result, Vipshop stated it would suspend its liquor sales, including Moutai (~CNY 1,000 or US$150 per bottle).
- In 2015, the price for a 500ml bottle of Moutai 53-degree liquor (the company’s primary product) dropped to CNY 1,000 (~US$161) per 500ml bottle, while in 2012 a Kweichow Moutai 53-degree bottle sold for CNY 2,000 (~US$316).
- In December 2015, a liquor counterfeiter was sentenced to 5 years in prison in Guangxi Region. The counterfeiter re-filled high-end liquor bottle brands with cheaper alcohol and primarily distributed them in Beihai City, Guangxi region.
- Established in 1999 in Guizhou province (southwestern China), Kweichow Moutai (SHA:600519) is a state-owned enterprise in China, specializing in the production and sales of Maotai liquor, together with the production and sale of beverage, food and packaging material, and development of anti-counterfeiting technology.
- With roots going back to the early 1950s, Wuliangye was established in 1998 in Yibin, Sichuan province. A rival of Kweichow Moutai, Wuliangye is an alcoholic beverage producer that specializes in the production of baijiu liquor. The company has a numerous baijiu products that vary in strength.
Hong Kong Trends