According to data from the Shanghai Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau, last year’s fruit import through the port of Shanghai reached 1,008,800 tons. This is the first time that the quantity surpasses one million tons, making it the biggest fruit import year for the port…Full Article: Fresh Plaza Jan 2018
- From 2016 to 2017, Shanghai’s fruit imports increased nearly 30% to USD 1.3 billion, of which roughly USD 200 million were kiwifruit, bananas, oranges, and cherries.
- In June 2017, China (via Shanghai) received its first shipment (15,000 boxes) of Costa Rican pineapples from four companies. Costa Rica’s pineapple exports took ~25 days to reach the Port of Shanghai.
- In April 2017, California-based avocado producer Mission Produce announced it completed its “Ripe Center” in Shanghai. The center is a joint venture project with Shanghai’s Lantao International (fresh produce importer/distributor) and Pagoda Orchard Industry Development (supermarkets).
- In early November 2016, Peru’s SENASA and China’s AQSIQ signed an agreement on the exportation of blueberries to the mainland. Later that month, Peru exported blueberries and mangoes (as well as avocados, asparagus, grapes) via a Lima-Shanghai China Eastern Airlines cargo flight during the 24th Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum.
- In October 2015, it was reported that Shanghai Shanhua Fruit Wholesale Market would close due to poor sanitary conditions. The bulk of its fruit vendors would move to either Huajin Market of Agricultural Products or Shanghai Xijiao International Agricultural Product Trading Center.
- Founded in 2007 and headquartered in Shanghai, Xijiao International Agricultural Product Trade Center (Xijiao International) is a state-owned wholesale market that trades in a wide variety of food products including fruits, vegetables, and meat. Bright Food (Group) is a major stakeholder in Xijiao International.
- Major fruit and vegetable markets in Shanghai include Shanghai Huizhan Fruit & Vegetable Wholesale Market, Shanghai Longwu Import & Export Fruit Wholesale Market, Shanghai Jiangqiao Vegetable Wholesale Market, Shanghai Agricultural Products Center Wholesale Market, Shanghai Shanhua Fruit Wholesale Market, and Shanghai Xijiao International Agricultural Product Trading Center.
Hong Kong Trends