By offering their lands to a herb planting cooperative, more than 400 farming households in southwest China’s Chongqing Municipality have received a total of over 200,000 yuan (30,000 U.S. dollars) in dividends so far this year. The farmers live in Shizhu Tujia Autonomous County and are anticipating more dividends from the cooperative. They are looking forward to the money, and earning more, at the end of the year so that they can celebrate the Chinese Lunar New Year…Full Article: Xinhua Dec 2017
- The Tujia people, a large ethnic minority in China, comprise approximately 70% of the population of Shizhu Tujia Autonomous County, Chongqing Municipality. Local farmers of the TCM cooperative have been cultivating lily bulb (bai he or 百合), turmeric (jiang huang or 姜黄), and hog fennel root (qian hu or 前胡) for sale to processors in the provinces of Anhui, Hebei, Sichuan, and Zhejiang, as well as Beijing.
- Nicknamed the “The land of Chinese golden thread”, Shizhu Tujia Autonomous County is a major producer of Chinese goldthread or黄连 (Coptis chinensis).
- Lily bulb, aka bai he or 百合 (Lilium brownie, L. lancifolium, L. pumilum), is an edible flower bulb used to improve breathing and to promote a healthy heart.
- Turmeric, aka jiang huang or 姜黄 (Curcuma longa), is a rhizome that is commonly used as a pain reliever and to treat poor blood circulation.
- Hog fennel root, aka qian hu or 前胡 (Peucedanum praeruptorum), is a plant root that is commonly used to treat coughing and other respiratory ailments.
Hong Kong Trends