China Railway Seventh Group on Tuesday [21 November 2017] signed an agreement with the Zambian government for the start of infrastructure development on a farming block situated in the northern part of the country. The signing of the 393-million-US dollar Agricultural Infrastructure Development Project for the 200,000 hectares of Kalungwishi Farm Block in Mporokoso district will see the Chinese firm construct various infrastructure such as roads, bridges, dams, canals, power distribution lines, among others…Full Article: The Global Times Nov 2017
- According to the Economic and Commercial Counselor of the Chinese Embassy in Zambia, under the framework of the China Aid-Zambia Agricultural Technical Demonstration Center, the China has helped construct of 920 boreholes in Zambia for extracting water.
- From 2012 to mid-2017, the China Aid-Zambia Agricultural Technical Demonstration Center, one of 14 demonstration centers in Africa, had reportedly trained more than 1,000 Zambian agriculture specialists. In addition, approximately 500 Zambian agriculture specialist had been trained in China, while roughly 20 Chinese firms have invested in Zambia’s agriculture sector impacting ~10,000 hectares of land.
- In December 2016, China donated 10,000 MTs of rice to the southern region (i.e. Gaza Province) of Mozambique. China noted it would also finance the drilling of 200 boreholes in Mozambique for extracting water.
- In July 2015, Zambia’s Agriculture Minister solicited the aid of Chinese investors to help development the country’s agriculture sector. In addition to investing in Zambian agricultural production, Zambia was hoping Chinese investors would also promote its agricultural processing sector and fish farming (i.e. aquaculture).
- In September 2014, a report noted that Chinese companies were particularly interested in purchasing rosewood timber (destined for mainland furniture manufacturers) from Western Province, Zambia.
- During the 2013 marketing season, China-African Cotton Zambia, purchased 11,000 tons of cotton from Eastern Province, Zambia.
- In April 2013, Zambia’s President visited China and stated after his return that announced that Chinese investors were interested in engaging in rice production in Western Province, Zambia. Chinese companies have also been interested in purchasing rosewood timber (destined for mainland furniture manufacturers) in Western Province, Zambia.
- In January 2013, China Railway Seventh Group announced it would carry out the construction of 30 water wells, as well as implement other water projects in Chad.
- In 2012, the China Aid-Zambia Agricultural Technical Demonstration Center was founded in Zambia.
- In September 2003, China gave 7,780 MTs of fertilizer (~USD 2.5 million) to Zambia.
- In 1998, CAMCO Zambia Limited was established. CAMCO Zambia is a Chinese company that supplies (through mainland exports) agricultural and construction equipment to Zambia.
- With its roots dating back to the 1950s, the China Railway Seventh Group is a state-owned enterprise that was founded in 2003 and is headquartered in Zhengzhou, Henan Province. From 2008 to 2013, the company implemented various engineering projects across Africa in Ethiopia, Chad, Tanzania, Mozambique, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Sierra Leone, Senegal, Uganda, and Zambia.
Hong Kong Trends