By Saturday [4 November 2017], more than 1,000 metric tons of beef had been imported from the United States, following the resumption of imports in June, according to the top quality supervision, inspection and quarantine authority…Full Article: ECNS.cn Nov 2017
- From mid-June to early November 2017, China had imported more than 1,000 MTs of US beef. Entry ports included the municipalities of Beijing, Tianjin, Shanghai, as well as the provinces of Liaoning, Jiangsu, and Guangdong. The first US beef shipment arrived in Beijing (Capital International Airport) on June 19th and was cleared on June 22nd.
- In 2017, mainland China’s beef imports totaled 694,922 MTs by volume and more than USD 3 billion by value.
- In November 2017, JD.com signed a three-year procurement agreement (~USD 200 million commitment) with the Montana Stock Growers Association (MSGA) and Montana’s Cross Four Ranch.
- As of September 2017, Omaha, Nebraska, was home to the largest number of approved US beef exporters, while Cargill Meat Solutions (a division of Cargill Inc. which is based in Kansas) operated the most geographically diverse set of approved plants (spread across four states).
- In June 2017, China’s General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine (AQSIQ) formally approved US beef imports after a 13-year-long ban. US beef has traditionally been shipped to Hong Kong, but will likely now be diverted to the major import cities of Tianjin and Shanghai where it will compete against supplies from Brazil, Uruguay, and Australia.
- From 2012 to 2016, mainland China’s beef imports increased from 61,300 MTs to 579,800 MTs.
Hong Kong Trends