China initiated the memorandum of understanding to import pears from Italy. The next edition of Futurpera (16th-18th November 2017) will be the perfect occasion to discuss this and for the production world to express its needs…Full Article: Fresh Plaza Nov 2017
- Emilia-Romagna Region, northeastern Italy, is the country’s largest pear producer (~480,000 MTs), with Abate Fetel pears being a major variety.
- In January 2016, China granted import approval for citrus fruits and kiwifruit from Basilicata Region, southern Italy. During the same month, it was reported that US pears were seeing increased demand in the Chinese cities of Hangzhou, Ningbo, Suzhou, Foshan, Dongguan, Zhuhai, Zhongshan, Shunde, Shenyang, Dalian, Chongqing, and Chengdu.
- From 2015 to 2016, mainland China’s imports of fresh pears increased from 12,935 MTs to 13,300 MTs. The top supplier was the USA. Over the same time period, Hong Kong’s imports of fresh pears decreased from 30,135 MTs to 27,774 MTs. The top suppliers were South Africa, Japan, Belgium, and the USA. In 2017, Hong Kong’s imports declined further to 20,912 MTs.
- In January 2013, the USDA granted permission for China to export sand pears to the US market.
- In October 2012, China and the USA reached agreements on the trade of pears. China would grant access to US pears in 2013 and the USA would permit the importation of Chinese sand pears.
Hong Kong Trends