China’s food producers are facing increased access certification barriers as overseas markets try to protect their own industries, putting pressure on Chinese exporters and squeezing their profits, business insiders said. Complicated attestation and strict access requests, including long approval periods and high fees, are being imposed on Chinese food products in foreign markets, Wang Hongyu, CEO of Shandong Province-based food producer Xiwang Group, told the Global Times on Tuesday [10 October 2017]…Full Article: The Global Times Oct 2017

Key Points

  • The CEO of the Shandong-based Xiwang Group noted that the company exports sugar to Europe, the USA, India, Indonesia, and Malaysia. The CEO lamented that EU certification is an expensive and lengthy process.
  • The president of the Xinjiang-based Kashgar Mufeng Biotechnology noted that European import approval standards for yak meat, lamb and processed cooked food are very strict.

ChinaAg Comments

  • In April 2017, seafood imports via Pakistan’s Gwadar Port will begin. The shipments will be managed by Mufeng Biological Technology and its cold storage center located near the Khunjerab Pass (closed 4 months of the year) in Xinjiang Region.
  • In January 2017, Mufeng Biological Technology imported (via the Khunjerab Pass) 7.46 MTs of seafood (e.g. squid, shrimp, pomfret and bonefish) as a test shipment for sale in Ürümqi, Beijing, and Shanghai.
  • In September 2016, Xiwang Foodstuffs (SHE:000639) acquired, via a joint venture with Beijing’s Primavera Capital, Canada’s Kerr Investment Holding Corp (nutritional supplements producer). Xiwang Foodstuffs will control 75% of the joint venture (Xiwang Lovate Health Science International), while Primavera Capital will control the remaining 25%.
  • Founded in 2007 and headquartered in Binzhou, Shandong Province, Xiwang Foodstuffs (SHE:000639) is a major Chinese producer and distributor of corn oil. The company also markets flaxseed oil, olive oil, sunflower seed oil, and peanut oil.

Hong Kong Trends

Similar Posts by ChinaAg

Spread the word. Share this post!