Chinese group WH Group the owner of Smithfield Foods announced the acquisition of two Romanian meat processing companies, Elit and Vericom. WH Group Ltd is the world’s largest pig breeding and processing company, in a strong expansion of its operations on the European market…Full Article: Sept 2017

Key Points

  • In Romania, Smithfield Ferme manages 46 farms in the counties of Arad and Timis, eastern Romania. Smithfield also manages two compound feed and four hog breeding facilities in the country. The acquisition of Elit and Vericom will add three meat processing facilities and five distribution centers to its Romanian portfolio.

ChinaAg Comments

  • In July 2017, Smithfield (subsidiary of WH Group) acquired a 33.5% of stake in Poland’s Pini Polonia (pork processor). In August 2017, Smithfield acquired the remaining 66.5% share.
  • In June 2017, Smithfield acquired Poland’s Pini Polska (meat processor), Hamburger Pini (packaged meats producer), and Royal Chicken (poultry processor). During the same month, WH Group noted it would seeking US and European assets in order to compete globally with Tyson Foods Inc and JBS SA.
  • In November 2016, Shuanghui (WH Group, HKG:0288) acquired Californian pork producer Clougherty Packing [including Farmer John and Saag’s Specialty Meats] for US$145 million. During the same month, Danish Crown (pork processor) announced plans to build a pork processing factory in Shanghai. At the moment, Danish Crown was a raw material (pork) supplier to China, exporting pork, pig toes, ears and tails.
  • In October 2016, CDH Investments announced plans to reduce its stake in WH Group from 19.77% to 12.94%, and may lower it further to 8.18% at a later date.
  • In August 2016, CDH Investments announced plans to sell a 10.61% stake (~US1.19 billion) in WH Group. As a result of the sale, CDH Investments stake in WH Group dropped from 30.39% to 19.77%.
  • In September 2013, Shuanghui (WH Group) acquired Smithfield Foods (U.S. pork producer and processor) for HK$36.7 billion (~US$4.7 billion).
  • Founded in 2002 and headquartered in Beijing, CDH Investments is a private equity firm. As of early 2016, CDH Investments had invested in China Modern Dairy (HKG:1117), WH Group (HKG:0288), and China Mengniu Dairy (HKG:2319).
  • Founded in 1958 and headquartered in Luohe, Henan Province, WH Group (formerly Shuanghui Group – HKG:0288) is a leading Chinese pork processor.

Hong Kong Trends

Similar Posts by ChinaAg

Spread the word. Share this post!