After decades of being enjoyed and known by people the world over, kiwifruit — the ovoid, greenish fruit with brown skin once called the Chinese gooseberry — is being given a new mission by its Chinese hometown, Meixian county. The county, in North China’s Shaanxi province, will host a World Kiwifruit Conference from Oct 13 to Oct 15 to gather global experts, clients and to showcase its own advantages in this industry, according to a news conference held Thursday at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing…Full Article: China Daily Sept 2017
- Shaanxi Province annually produces 1.3 million MTs of kiwifruit on more than 1.03 million mu (68,666 hectares) of farmland.
- In October 2017, during the World Kiwifruit Conference in Shaanxi Province, a kiwifruit cooperation agreement between the Royal New Zealand Institute of Horticulture, New Zealand’s Zespri Group Limited, Northwest A&F University, and the Shaanxi Fruits Bureau will be signed.
- In 2016, according to the general manager of Shaanxi Jinqiao Fruit Industry, the company exported USD 1 million worth of kiwifruit to Russia.
- In September 2017, a drone, developed by Shaanxi Zhuangke Agriculture Science and Technology Company, was used to collect data for 10 hectares of kiwifruit orchards in Yangling, Shaanxi Province.
- In August 2017, the Zespri grower and shareholder who illegally distributed kiwifruit varieties was found and punished. According to the Zespri’s Chief Operating Officer, the illegal planting of Zespri’s SunGold and Gold9 varieties occurred in four different Chinese provinces.
- In April 2017, New Zealand’s Zespri noted that the illegal transfer of [Psa-resistant] Gold3 and Gold9 kiwifruit in China occurred on a “relatively small scale”.
- From 2012 to 2016, China’s (including Hong Kong and Macau) kiwifruit imports more than doubled, from 72,620 MTs to 153,009 MTs. The bulk of this import growth occurred over a two-year period, when imports saw a year-on-year increase of approximately 30,000 MTs in 2015 and 44,000 MTs in 2016. The large uptick in 2016 was due in part to China’s Free Trade Agreements (FTA) with New Zealand and Chile.
- In September 2016, FruitDay (Shanghai e-commerce platform) became a retailer of New Zealand’s Zespri kiwifruit.
- In April 2016, New Zealand’s kiwifruit producer, Zespri, has reached an agreement with the provincial government of Shaanxi to promote research and scientific collaboration. Zespri also plans to open offices in Chengdu and Chongqing in order to market its kiwifruit in western China. In addition, Zespri announced it would expand its China-based staff from 25 to 90 over the next three years and would look to partner with local producers to cultivate kiwifruit in China.
- From 2015 to 2016, Shaanxi’s kiwifruit production increased from 1.23 million MTs to 1.31 million MTs. The bulk of Shaanxi’s kiwifruit orchards are primarily situated in the southern counties of Mei (Meixian), Zhouzhi, and Wugong.
- From 2013 to 2015, China’s kiwifruit production increased from 1.2 million MTs to 1.78 million MTs.
- In February 2013, New Zealand confirmed that the 2010 Psa outbreak originated from China.
- In November 2012, approximately 68% (only 26% in 2011) of the country’s kiwifruit orchards were adversely affected by the disease.
- In November 2010, New Zealand’s North Island kiwifruit orchards began suffering from Psa (bacterial kiwifruit vine disease) outbreaks. In 2010, Zespri commercialized is Gold3 (SunGold) kiwifruit variety, which was more resistant Psa. Gold9 was also released but suffered in the market due to its “shriveled skin” appearance.
- In May 2006, SkyPeople Fruit Juice began producing kiwifruit after it acquired 50.2% of of Xi’an Jiaoda Qinmei Modern Agriculture. SkyPeople Fruit Juice’s ‘Qinmei’ kiwifruit orchards in Zhouzhi County, Shaanxi Province, were China’s largest kiwifruit production area.
- Founded in 2001 and headquartered in Xi’an, Shaanxi Province, SkyPeople Fruit Juice is located in one of China’s primary fruit-growing regions and is particularly well known for kiwifruit. In 2010, SkyPeople Fruit Juice transferred from NYSE Amex (NYSE MKT) to NASDAQ.
- In 1997, New Zealand Kiwifruit Marketing Board established the Zespri brand (headquartered in Mount Maunganui, Bay of Plenty, North Island).
Hong Kong Trends