Yonghui Superstores has proved adept at rolling out new business models to retain market share and combat the challenges thrown up by online rivals. The traditional retail chain has nearly 500 stores, with another 200 due to be opened later this year, and employs more than 70,000 staff…Full Article: China Daily July 2017
- In 2017, Yonghui Superstores hopes to open up to 50 Super Species stores (small 500 sq. meter supermarkets) in Fuzhou in Fujian province. Super Species stores will cater to middle class consumers and will offer samples of salmon, prime beef, and wine to shoppers.
- In May 2017, Yonghui Superstores launched its YH Life brand store in Shanghai. YH Life is a convenience store that sells cigarettes, ice cream, readymade meals, and fresh food products.
- In 2015, Yonghui Superstores launched its YH Member Experience brand store in Shanghai. As of mid-2017, more than 30 YH Member Experience stores have been opened.
- Major convenience store chains in China include 7-Eleven (Japan), FamilyMart (Japan), Lawson (Japan), Ministop (Japan), Shanghai Kedi Convenience Store (China), Shanghai Lianhua Quik Convenience Stores (China), Suguo Supermarket (China), Alldays (aka 好德, China), and Buddies (aka 良友, China).
- In August 2015, JD.com purchased a 10% stake in Yonghui Superstores. Established in 2001 and headquartered in Fuzhou, Fujian Province, Yonghui operates 460 medium-sized supermarkets all over China (as of 2015).
- As of early 2015, Yonghui managed 460 supermarkets across 17 provinces and municipalities (including Beijing, Shanghai, Chongqing, Zhejiang and Guizhou) making it China’s fifth largest hypermarket chain.
- In 2011, Shanghai had approximately 7,000 convenience stores (most in mainland China).
- Established in 2001 and headquartered in Fuzhou, Fujian Province, Yonghui operates 460 medium-sized supermarkets all over China (as of 2015). Yonghui has seen healthy growth which the company attributes to their focus on fresh products, which occupies 40-50% of a single store’s floor space.
Hong Kong Trends