Twenty-plus years after launching Wedome, the French bakery that has become ubiquitous in Beijing, it seems that the fun for founder Huang Li is just beginning. With about 350 stores, 300 of them in the capital, the company is poised for a major expansion. Right now, Shanghai looms as the shining city on a hill…Full Article: ECNS.cn June 2017
- In 2016, Wedome reported sales of CNY 1.14 billion (USD 168 million).
- In 1996, Wedome opened its first store in Fuchengmen, western Beijing.
- Major Chinese bakery chains include Holiland (China), 85⁰C Bakery Café (Taiwan), Bakery Christine (Taiwan), BreadTalk (Singapore), and Paris Paris Baguette (South Korea).
- In 2010, according to Euromonitor International, China’s retail market of baked goods (including bread, pastries, and cakes) was approximately CNY 7.8 billion (USD 1.2 billion).
- In 2009, China’s per capita consumption of baked goods was 4.1 kilograms.
Hong Kong Trends