Farmland in a colorful garden at Xuwen County in Zhanjiang, south China’s Guangdong Province. The average annual output of pineapples in Xuwen, a county known in China as “the land of pineapples”, are over 400,000 tonnes…Full Article: The Global Times May 2017
- In February 2017, Hainan Island launched a subsidy program to aid pineapple farmers in the city of Wanning. According to the Director of the Longgun Pineapple Association (north of Wanning), pineapple farmers typically earn CNY 150,000 (~USD 21,800) per hectare, but have only earned CNY 30,000 [~USD 4,360) per ha this year.
- In May 2016, Xuwen County (located directly across Hainan Island in Guangdong Province) reported declining prices owing to poor climatic conditions (cold weather, heavy rain) that shortened the harvest period and decreased the Brix count of the fruit.
- In 2014, China’s top pineapple producers were Guangdong Province with 917,600 MTs of output, followed by Hainan Island at 373,100 MTs, and Yunnan Province at 68,500 MTs. Other smaller pineapple producers (under 40,000 MTs) included Guangxi Region and Fujian Province.
- From 2010 to 2014, according to China, Chinese pineapple production increased from approximately 1.49 million MTs to 1.88 million MTs.
- In 2013, China and Malaysia signed a trade agreement that would allow Malaysia to export one 40-foot container (~20 MTs) of MD2 pineapples per month. However, shipments were delayed and are scheduled to begin in March 2017.
Hong Kong Trends