Zespri International has called in police to investigate the transfer of Gold3 and Gold9 kiwifruit varieties into China that may have been done illegally. Last year the Mount Maunganui-based international fruit marketer started investigating reports that a kiwifruit license had been sold to a third party, breaching the terms limiting transfers within a country, and it passed on that evidence to police in December which is investigating, it said in a statement…Full Article: NZ Herald Apr 2017
- New Zealand’s Zespri noted that the illegal transfer of [Psa-resistant] Gold3 and Gold9 kiwifruit in China occurred on a “relatively small scale”.
- In September 2016, FruitDay (Shanghai e-commerce platform) became a retailer of New Zealand’s Zespri kiwifruit.
- In April 2016, New Zealand’s kiwifruit producer, Zespri, has reached an agreement with the provincial government of Shaanxi to promote research and scientific collaboration. Zespri also plans to open offices in Chengdu and Chongqing in order to market its kiwifruit in western China. In addition, Zespri announced it would expand its China-based staff from 25 to 90 over the next three years and would look to partner with local producers to cultivate kiwifruit in China.
- From 2013 to 2015, China’s kiwifruit production increased from 1.2 million MTs to 1.78 million MTs.
- In February 2013, New Zealand confirmed that the 2010 Psa outbreak originated from China.
- In November 2012, approximately 68% (only 26% in 2011) of the country’s kiwifruit orchards were adversely affected by the disease.
- In November 2010, New Zealand’s North Island kiwifruit orchards began suffering from Psa (bacterial kiwifruit vine disease) outbreaks. In 2010, Zespri commercialized is Gold3 (SunGold) kiwifruit variety, which was more resistant Psa. Gold9 was also released but suffered in the market due to its “shriveled skin” appearance.
- In May 2006, SkyPeople Fruit Juice began producing kiwifruit after it acquired 50.2% of of Xi’an Jiaoda Qinmei Modern Agriculture. SkyPeople Fruit Juice’s ‘Qinmei’ kiwifruit orchards in Zhouzhi County, Shaanxi Province, were China’s largest kiwifruit production area.
- Founded in 2001 and headquartered in Xi’an, Shaanxi Province, SkyPeople Fruit Juice is located in one of China’s primary fruit-growing regions and is particularly well known for kiwifruit. In 2010, SkyPeople Fruit Juice transferred from NYSE Amex (NYSE MKT) to NASDAQ.
- In 1997, New Zealand Kiwifruit Marketing Board established the Zespri brand (headquartered in Mount Maunganui, Bay of Plenty, North Island).
Hong Kong Trends