China’s e-commerce giant Alibaba group on Wednesday [22 March 2017] announced a plan to set up an e-commerce hub in Malaysia encompassing logistics, cloud-computing and e-financial service to boost trade and e-commerce in the region. The e-commerce hub will be part of the collaboration between Alibaba and the Malaysian government in the development of a Digital Free Trade Zone (DFTZ) in Malaysia, in line with the Electronic World Trade Platform (eWTP) promoted by Jack Ma, Alibaba’s executive chairman…Full Article: ECNS.cn Mar 2017
- By the end of 2019, a regional e-commerce and logistics hub near the Kuala Lumpur International Airport is expected to be launched by Alibaba Group, Lazada Group, as well as Alibaba’s logistics company, Cainiao Network.
- Alibaba’s Ant Financial Services Group signed an agreement with the Malaysian banks of CIMB Group Holdings Berhad bank and Maybank. The agreement focused on inbound Chinese tourism and promoting Malaysian SMEs (Small or Medium-Sized Business) trade relations.
- In February 2017, Alibaba Group opened its Australian and New Zealand headquarters in Melbourne (Victoria, Australia).
- Founded in 2013 and headquartered in Shenzhen, Guangdong Province, Cainiao Network is a logistics company that (as of September 2016) was 47% owned by Alibaba Group.
- Founded in 2011 (launched in 2012) and headquartered in Singapore, Lazada Group is a German e-commerce company that focuses on the Southeast Asian market. In April 2016, Alibaba Group purchased a majority stake (US$1 billion) in Lazada Group.
Hong Kong Trends