The Chinese wine “Noble Dragon”, produced by the Changyu Pioneer Wine winery, has sold over 100,000 bottles during its first ten months on sale in Spain, the company said on Tuesday [14 February 2017]. The wine is marketed in Spain by Marques del Atrio and is on sale in supermarket chains such as Carrefour, El Corte Ingles, Consum and DIA…Full Article: ECNS.cn Feb 2017
- Yantai Changyu Pioneer Wine’s (SHE:000869) Noble Dragon brand wine is being currently sold in Germany, Denmark, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Spain, and Britain (Sainsbury’s supermarkets).
- In February 2017, Sainsbury’s began selling ‘Noble Dragon’ wine for GBP 8 (~US$10.00) per bottle.
- In March 2016, Yantai Changyu Pioneer Wine began selling ‘Noble Dragon’ brand wine (a Cabernet Gernischt and Cabernet Sauvignon blend) in Spain.
- In December 2015, Yantai Changyu Pioneer Wine acquired a majority stake in Marques del Atrio, a Spanish wine company.
- As of 2015, Yantai Changyu Pioneer Wine’s (SHE:000869) Noble Dragon wine was sold in 3,000 European supermarkets including France’s Carrefour SA and Britain’s Tesco PLC. The company hopes to expand its international sales from 10% of total sales to 30% of its total sales by 2020.
- In August 2012, rumors of pesticide contamination in their wines caused Yantai Changyu Pioneer Wine’s (SHE:000869) share price to drop 10%
- Regionally, China’s Shandong province is the top wine producer, accounting for 34% (467 million liters) of the country’s production in 2012. Over 200 wine enterprises are located in Shandong, with the majority situated near the coastal cities of Yantai, Qingdao, and Weihai in Jiaodong Peninsula. Yantai in particular is home to six of China’s top ten wine companies, including ChangYu, the country’s oldest and largest Chinese winery. Owing to the peninsula’s climatic conditions, the region is well suited for the cultivation of late maturing grapevine varieties. The primary red grape varieties include Cabernets (Sauvignon, Gernischt, and Franc), Merlot, Syrah, Yan 73 and Yan 74. White grape varieties under cultivation include Chardonnay and Riesling.
- In 1892, Chinese businessman and famed diplomat, Zhang Bishi, founded the ChangYu Pioneer Wine Company in Shandong Province. Zhang Bishi imported approximately 120 grape varieties from Europe and the United States, with Cabernet Gernischt (aka Cabernet Shelongzhu or Cabernet snake pearl), emerging as the dominant variety. Cabernet Gernischt, a distant relative of Cabernet Franc, is an orphaned grape variety that was likely wiped out during a phylloxera outbreak that spread across Europe during the late 19th century.
Hong Kong Trends