Beijing continues to strengthen agricultural research and innovation as the country calls for deepening structural reform in the agricultural sector. An agricultural innovation lab, jointly established by Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei Province in December, will offer technological solutions on food safety, farming environment and pest control…Full Article: ECNS.cn Feb 2017
- The Beijing Academy of Agriculture and Forestry Sciences has developed a high-yield wheat variety that has been planted in Hebei, Tianjin, Shanxi, Shandong, as well as outside the mainland in Pakistan. The wheat variety can reportedly boost yields by 15% and save on water usage by 30% to 50%.
- Launched in 2015 and headquartered in Beijing, Znbmall is an e-commerce platform that sells approximately 400 different types of farm produce (e.g. fruits, vegetables, meat, edible oils, grains, nuts, tea, and honey).
- In June 2015, China announced it would construct 80 “eco-friendly” vegetable plots in Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei in accordance with the quality control standards of Beijing. These standards primarily focus on limiting the use of pesticides.
- In April 2015, Beijing, Tianjin, and Hebei signed the “Agricultural Cooperative Development Framework Agreement”. The agreement to improve and develop the agricultural sector within the three regions. In addition, they agree to work together on formulating an international export and marketing strategy.
- Hebei province envelopes both the municipalities of Beijing and Tianjin. Beijing and Tianjin are “Tier 1” markets within China, with Tianjin operating a major trading port in Bohai Bay. In 2013, Hebei was China’s largest pear producer and second largest grape producer.
Hong Kong Trends