China will spend 50 billion yuan (about 7.3 billion U.S. dollars) on building methane projects in rural areas as the government seeks to increase the use of clean energy. According to a plan released by the country’s top economic planner, during the 13th Five-Year Plan (2016-2020) period, China will build 172 new biogas projects and 3,150 large-scale methane projects…Full Article: ECNS.cn Feb 2017

Key Point

  • China annually generates 1.4 billion MTs of rural waste [hog manure] that could be used for methane production (~73.6 billion cubic meters of bio-gas).

ChinaAg Comments

  • In 2010, mainland China’s agriculture sector emitted 349,025 (CO2eq) of methane (CH4), accounting for 25% of methane emissions. This was second only to mainland China’s energy sector which emitted 739,783 (CO2eq) of methane (CH4) or roughly 52% of the mainland’s total methane emissions. With mainland China’s agriculture, methane accounted for 49% of all greenhouse gas emissions, while nitrous oxide (NO2, synthetic fertilizer usage) accounted for the remaining 51%. Also in 2010, nearly 100% of methane emissions in Hong Kong and Macau were generated by the waste sector as opposed to agriculture or energy.

Hong Kong Trends

Similar Posts by ChinaAg

Spread the word. Share this post!