China’s largest private agribusiness, New Hope Group and its chairman Liu Yonghao, are planning to invest 1 billion Australian dollars ($763 million) by 2020 to help grow businesses down under, according to New Hope Group’s Australian chief executive officer Nick Dowling. “I don’t think there’s necessarily any limit to what the chairman wants to invest in, it’s really about opportunity,” he told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation…Full Article: The Global Times Feb 2017
- In 2015, New Hope Group invested AUD 100 million (US$76.3 million US) in the Australian [New South Wales] dairies of Moxeys and Perichs.
- In October 2016, New Hope Group opened in Australian headquarters in Sydney. At the time, New Hope Group had expressed interested in Australia’s dairy industry and increasing its in investment in the country’s healthcare products sector. Recall, in 2013, New Hope Group acquired Australian NaturalCare (healthcare products).
- In September 2016, the Vice-President of New Hope Liuhe stated that his company may invest and look for acquisitions in Poland. The VP of New Hope also noted that company plans to invest approximately CNY 8.8 billion yuan (US$1.3 billion) in pig breeding. The company may also increase its poultry capacity.
- In April 2016, New Hope Group announced they planned to invest CNY 10 billion (~US$1.54 billion) on food related assets (e.g. high end animal protein) overseas over the next 3 to 5 years.
- In April 2015, Moxey Farms (Gooloogong, New South Wales dairy), Leppington Pastoral Company (Bringelly, New South Wales, see Perich Group), Freedom Foods Group (ASX:FNP), and China’s New Hope Group formed the Australian Fresh Milk Holdings business consortium.
- In November 2014, Australia’s Perich Group and Freedom Foods Group (ASX:FNP) signed a MoU with New Hope Group relating to UHT milk production.
- In September 2014, New Zealand’s Synlait Milk announced plans to acquire a 25% stake in New Hope Group’s infant formula subsidiary, Sichuan New Hope Nutritional Foods (founded in 2001). New Hope Nutritional markets the “akara” brand of infant formula products in China.
- In December 2013, New Hope Group acquired Australia’s Kilcoy Pastoral Company (KPC), a beef processor that operates an abattoir in Queensland near Brisbane. Since its acquisition, KPC (~240,000 head of cattle processed per year) has been merged into New Hope Group’s supply chain of meat processors.
- In April 2013, New Hope Group expressed interest in establishing an animal feed plant in the port area of West Bengal, India.
- In 1999, New Hope Group set up its first overseas plant in Vietnam. It has since established eight overseas factories in Vietnam, Bangladesh, Philippines, India and Indonesia.
- In 1996, New Hope Group began its overseas investment strategy.
- Established in 1982 and headquartered in Sichuan province, New Hope Group is one of China’s largest privately owned agricultural conglomerate, with more than 400 subsidiaries and over 80,000 employees (as of early 2013). The firm is China’s largest feed producer, as well as one of China’s largest suppliers of meat, egg and dairy products. New Hope Liuhe (SHE:000876) is a Shenzhen-listed company of New Hope Group.
Hong Kong Trends