Alibaba Group Holding Limited on Saturday [4 February 2017] opened its Australian and New Zealand (ANZ) headquarters in Australia’s Melbourne. “With a local office and expert team, Alibaba Group will help Australian and New Zealand businesses share their world-famous products with billions of customers around the world,” Jack Ma, Alibaba Group Founder and Executive Chairman told a ceremony attended by over 350 business, industry and government figures, “Alibaba Group is here to make it easy to do business anywhere.”…Full Article: ECNS.cn Feb 2017
- Alibaba’s Tmall and Tmall Global sell more than 1,300 Australian and 400 New Zealand brands.
- In December 2016, Alibaba used the “Double 12” shopping promotion to market Koubei to customers.
- In September 2016, Alibaba Group’s Tmall launched an online store to promote Australian wine. The new wine online store on Tmall.com will be managed by China’s Vinehoo.com.
- In June 2016, New Zealand’s Fonterra announced they would sell their “Tip Top” brand of ice cream on Tmall.com.
- In January 2016, the Blackmores and Bega Cheese JV launched three infant formula products for sale in Australia (store shelves) and China (e-commerce). Approximately 20,000 tins of infant formula from the Australian dairy JV were available for sale on Tmall.com, an Alibaba controlled e-commerce website. Customers can reportedly only purchase two tins per day and up to four total per week.
- In November 2015, Australia reported increased bulk purchases of infant formula products during China’s “Singles Day” holiday. Singles’ Day (aka Guanggun Jie) is celebrated on 11 November and is a major shopping holiday within China.
- In September 2015, German hypermarket retailer Metro Group announced it would open an online store on Tmall.com to sell a variety of goods including dairy products, canned food, chocolate, and coffee.
- In June 2015, Alibaba and Ant Financial acquired Koubei (50/50 joint venture, US$483.3 million each) to counter the Tencent-backed (see also JD.com) Meituan-Dianping online platform.
- Launched in 2008 and owned by Alibaba Group, Tmall.com was spun off from Taobao.
- Launched in 2003 and owned by Alibaba Group, Taobao is an e-commerce platform that sells a variety of products (e.g. clothing, appliances, electronics, healthcare products, and more) directly to the consumer.
Hong Kong Trends