China’s food watchdog has ordered stepped up inspection on food safety in the rural areas after eight people have died from tainted food over the past two months. In one incident on Dec. 18, 2016, 30 residents came down with food poisoning, two of whom later died, after the cook mistook sodium nitrite for salt during a funeral dinner in Miaoya Village, Bazhong city of Sichuan Province, according to a circular released by the China Food and Drug Administration…Full Article: Xinhua Jan 2017
- In November 2016, three deaths occurred in Mudanjiang City, Heilongjiang Province, after methanol was served during a banquet. In December 2016, three deaths also occurred in Huilong Village, Hubei Province, due to the same mistake. As a result, food safety authorities have stepped up liquor inspections.
- In October 1986, law enforcement authorities in Guiyang, Guizhou Province, arrested six individuals and seized 2,000 quarts of tainted liquor and 675 quarts of methanol-based industrial alcohol after adulterated liquor 20 deaths (~1,000 became sick).
Hong Kong Trends