Kyrgyzstan has high hopes of an agro-industrial cooperation zone built by a Chinese enterprise, Minister of Economy of Kyrgyzstan, Arzybek Kozhoshev, has said. “We are impressed by the fact that the project aims to produce organically pure products. And I am happy that the complex will be one of the largest ones in Central Asia,” he told Xinhua in an interview…Full Article: The Global Times Jan 2017
- China’s Henan Guiyou Industrial Group has financially backed a 4.6 sq. km agro-industrial cooperation zone in Iskra, Chuy District, east of Bishkek. The project includes the construction of a poultry farm and is expected to be completed by 2020.
- In October 2016, Kyrgyzstan’s Vice Prime Minister expressed hope to export milk, meat, and fish to China. The Vice Minister also noted a need to launch direct flights between Bishkek-Beijing and Osh-Kashgar.
- In June 2016, Kyrgyzstan’s Deputy Agricultural Minister stated that his country exports vegetables, leather, and wool to China, and imports chicken meat, pork, and eggs. Kyrgyzstan also hoped to export potatoes, cherries, peaches, and dried fruits to China in the future. At the same time, China’s Xinjiang Region was reportedly helping to construct greenhouses in Kyrgyzstan.
- In May 2016, a representative of the Bishkek Business Club complained of Chinese and Uzbek vegetables being smuggled and sold into Kyrgyzstan. Local Kyrgyz prices for cucumber swung from KGS 90 (~US$1.30) per kg to KGS 250 (~US$3.66) per kg. Meanwhile prices in China and Uzbekistan were consistently more stable and lower priced.
- In 2015, two Chinese seed experts from the Xinjiang Agricultural Vocational Technical College in Changji Hui autonomous prefecture (northeastern Xinjiang) were dispatched to Kyrgyzstan promote the college’s corn seeds.
- Founded in 2007, Jingyan Yinhai Seed is a distributor of various crop seeds including corn, wheat, rice, cotton, peanuts, and soybeans. In 2008, the company began managing an agricultural aid project in Kyrgyzstan. In 2011, the company signed an agricultural (relating to corn, wheat and cotton) agreement with Tajikistan.
- Founded in 2005 and headquartered in Shangqiu, Henan Province, Henan Guiyou Industrial Group produces and market a variety of food products including frozen dumplings, processed meat (sausages, lamb), and rice/sesame balls. The company also imports and sells flour from Russia. In 2011, Henan Guiyou Industrial Group bought an animal husbandry (livestock) company in Kyrgyzstan.
- In 2003, China sent experts from its Institute of Cotton Research of the Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences (CAAS) to Kara-Suu, Osh Region, to help develop Kyrgyzstan’s cotton industry. CAAS experts reportedly offered local Kyrgyz farmers free seeds and advice on suitable fertilizers and pesticides.
- Sino-Kyrgyz border crossings include Erkeshtam, aka Irkeshtam, (Xinjiang Region and Osh Region), and Torugart Pass (Xinjiang Region and Naryn Region). There is also Bedel Pass, which like Torugart Pass, is situated in the Tian Shan mountain range.
Hong Kong Trends