Forest police in Mianyang, Sichuan province, have seized a suspect in connection with the storage and trading of nearly two metric tons of meat from wild and endangered animals, such as black bears, pangolins and owls…Full Article: China.org.cn Jan 2017
- During the summer of 2015, Sichuan Province’s forest police/bureau in Mianyang were alerted that bear meat was being sold to various restaurants around the city.
- In September 2016, Chinese law enforcement officials in Guangdong Province seized ~1,000 MTs of illegal meat products. The smuggled meat (e.g. beef, chicken wings, chicken legs, cow tongue) and offal (e.g. beef tripe) were discovered near Dangan Island (Wanshan Archipelago, off the coast of Hong Kong). The smuggled meat was being stored within a ship’s cold storage units. The smuggled meat, originating from the USA, Brazil, and Thailand, was soaked in bleach in order to improve its appearance, lengthen its expiration date, and boost its weight (1 kg vs. 1.5 kg when soaked).
- In March 2016, Chinese law enforcement officials in Zhangzhou City, Fujian Province, seized and destroyed 530 MTs of smuggled meat in Xiamen.
- In February 2016, Chinese law enforcement authorities in Guangdong Province seized approximately 2,219 MTs of smuggled meat (e.g. beef, chicken wings, and pigs’ feet) discovered on a foreign ship in Shenzhen. The smuggled meat, totaling CNY 200 million (~US$31 million) in value, was transported in 71 cargo containers.
- In September 2015, Chinese law enforcement authorities on Hainan Island seized more than 660 MTs of smuggled meat found on a moored ship. The ship was birthed at Baimajing fishing port, which was unusual as the port typically does allow container ship mooring.
- In July 2015, China’s coast guard seized 200 MTs of frozen meat products (e.g. chicken’s feet, pig’s feet and tongues) in Hainan province.
- In June 2015, approximately 800 MTs of frozen meat products were seized in Hunan province.
- From January to June 2015, China confiscated 420,000 MTs of illicit frozen meat products.
- In June 2015, China halted a Japanese beef smuggling ring that imported the beef via Cambodia-Laos-Yunnan-Shanghai.
- In May 2015, a dozen people were jailed in Zhejiang province for injecting water into cattle for profit.
- In February 2015, China arrested nearly three dozen people who allegedly smuggled 6,000 tons of beef into the country. Anti-smuggling authorities based in Dalian, Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen and Guangzhou participated the nationwide crackdown.
Hong Kong Trends