Chen Xiaochen, a 32-year-old resident of Harbin, bought an ice cream cone on Tuesday [27 September 2016], even though daytime temperatures dropped to 7 C in the northeastern Chinese city. The Russian-made ice cream she bought was only 10 yuan ($1.50), making it an affordable treat. “I particularly like Russian ice cream, as it has a flavorful milk taste, strictly selected raw materials without any additives, and it’s reasonably priced,” Chen said…Full Article: China Daily Sept 2016

Key Points

  • Over the next three years (~2020), Epindou plans to develop 300 brick-and-mortar stores to sell Russian products.
  • In early September 2016, during the G20 Summit in Hangzhou, Russia’s President Vladimir Putin gave Xi Jinping Russian ice cream as a gift.
  • In 2016, Epindou imported 14 MTs of Russian ice cream via refrigerated trucks from a private logistics company. The online retailer noted that imports by cold storage railway is not developed enough at the border.
  • The majority of Russian ice cream imports enter China via the Quarantine Bureau of Manzhouli, northeastern China.

ChinaAg Comments

  • According to a 2015 report, China annually consumes approximately 5.9 billion liters of ice cream, the most worldwide. Another analysis noted that annual Chinese ice cream consumption stands at 4 liters per capita.
  • From 2010 to 2015, Chinese (incl. Hong Kong and Macau) imports of ice cream products increased from 9,861 MTs to 23,869 MTs. In 2015, approximately 25% of Chinese ice cream imports entered via Hong Kong, while the remaining 75% entered via the mainland. In 2015, France was the largest supplier (11,288 MTs), followed by South Korea (4,590 MTs), and Thailand (2,116 MTs). New Zealand was the fifth largest supplier at 794 MTs.
  • In 2014, China’s ice cream sales totaled US$11.4 billion.
  • Headquartered in Heihe (Russian border), Heilongjiang Province, Epinduo is an e-commerce retail site that specializes in Russian goods. The company is a subsidiary of Sirius Holding Group. As of September 2016, Epindou had five stores in China.

Similar Posts by ChinaAg

Spread the word. Share this post!