Fiji plans to boost its cooperation with China by promoting Fijian agricultural products including fisheries and tropical agriculture products, the Pacific island country’s Minister for Agriculture Inia Seruiratu said Monday [26 September 2016]…Full Article: Xinhua Sept 2016
- During the Fiji-China 4th Joint Working Committee meeting in Suva, both sides discussed boosting Fijian production of rice, ginger and mushrooms.
- In July 2016, Fiji’s President and China’s ambassador visited a rice farm project in Koronivia, eastern Fiji. China reportedly has six rice experts assisting Fiji’s Ministry of Agriculture in promoting high-yield rice production.
- In July 2015, China’s Premier Li Keqian expressed support for a joint feasibility study of a China-Fiji Free Trade Agreement (FTA).
- From 2010 to 2014, Chinese exports of seafood products to Fiji increased from US$10.4 million to US$30.2 million. Meanwhile, Fijian exports of seafood products to China (incl. Hong Kong and Macau) declined from US$8.8 million to US$4.3 million. Fiji primarily exports to Hong Kong as opposed to mainland China.
- In November 1975, Fiji became the first Pacific island country to establish diplomatic ties with the PRC.