Peter McBride, chairman of Zespri, visited the headquarters of Fruitday in Shanghai yesterday. Fruitday is a prominent Chinese retailer which is especially good with online sales of fresh fruit. The two companies have settled the collaboration, in which Fruitday will become a direct retail customer of Zespri in China…Full Article: Fresh Plaza Sept 2016
- In August 2016, FruitDay announced it would distribute products from Lactel, a French dairy.
- Fruitday markets oranges from Yunnan Province under its Mr. Orange brand.
- In April 2016, New Zealand’s kiwifruit producer, Zespri, has reached an agreement with the provincial government of Shaanxi to promote research and scientific collaboration. Zespri also plans to open offices in Chengdu and Chongqing in order to market its kiwifruit in western China. In addition, Zespri announced it would expand its China-based staff from 25 to 90 over the next three years and would look to partner with local producers to cultivate kiwifruit in China.
- In June 2015, an article noted that FruitDay had invested more than CNY 100 million (~US$16.2 million) in cold storage facilities, and has six warehouses in Shanghai, Beijing, Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Hangzhou, and Chengdu.
- In January 2015 (that month alone), the fresh fruit e-commerce sit, FruitDay, recorded CNY 100 million ($16.1 million) in sales.
- In April 2014, a representative from Welch’s Food Inc. (American grape producer) noted that they work with FruitDay in the Shanghai market and were considering using them as a packer.
- In March 2014, FruitDay received financing from a Shanghai-based private equity firm to expand its business operations.
- Founded in 2006 and headquartered in Shanghai, FruitDay is an e-commerce retailer of fresh produce and operates within the Shanghai Free-Trade Zone (bypassing import duties and VAT). The company primarily focuses on selling fresh fruit including Chilean blueberries, Vietnamese dragon fruit, New Zealander kiwifruit/oranges/apples, Thai mangosteens/coconuts, papayas from Hainan Island, melons from Xinjiang Region, and more.
- In 1997, New Zealand Kiwifruit Marketing Board established the Zespri brand (headquartered in Mount Maunganui, Bay of Plenty, North Island).