Tanzania is contemplating selling its Tobacco produce to China but cautioned producers over a likely price drop of the traditional crop which constitutes 40 percent of the total export earnings…Full Article: AllAfrica Sept 2016
- Tanzania is holding negotiations with Chinese businesses to export tobacco to Hong Kong.
- In 2008, northern Tanzania’s Mara Region began commercial production of tobacco. However, only one tobacco company, Alliance One [NYSE: AOI], has been purchasing Mara tobacco.
- In 2015, mainland China imported 1,984 MTs (US$13 million) worth of Tanzanian tobacco products. Hong Kong did not import any Tanzanian tobacco products.
- In 2015, China accounted for 41% of Zimbabwe’s tobacco leaf exports. In general, approximately 80% of Zimbabwean exports to China are comprised of tobacco products, cotton, and other crops.
- From 2014 to 2015, the tobacco’s industry share contribution to China’s state revenue increased more than 20% to CNY 1.1 trillion (~US$170 billion).