Belarusian Potash Company (BPC) plans to export 1.3 million tons of potash to China by the end of 2016, the press service of BPC said on Wednesday [27 July 2016]. On July 14, BPC reached an agreement with the consortium of Chinese buyers (Sinochem, CNAMPGC, CNOOC) on the contract prize of 219 U.S. dollars per tonne for the delivery of potassium to China…Full Article: ECNS.cn July 2016
- Canada, Russia and Belarus reportedly produce approximately 60% of the world’s potassium (potash) fertilizer.
- In July 2016, China announced it discovered a large potassium deposit in Qinghai Province. China applies potassium fertilizer on approximately 30 million hectares of farmland and imports approximately 6 million MTs of potassium fertilizer every year.
- In June 2016, China Development Bank (CDB) announced it would help finance the construction a potash factory in Belarus. The new factory will reportedly have annual production capacity of 2 million MTs of potassium chloride.
- In 2014, China consumed 6.4 million MTs of potash (potassium compound).
- From 2000 to 2013, Chinese potash (potassium compound) consumption increased from 3.7 million MTs to 6.2 million MTs. In 2013, Hunan accounted for 10% (638,600 MTs) of China’s potash consumption. The next largest consumer was Guangxi Region at 9% (572,779 MTs).
- From 1980 to 2011, China’s chemical fertilizer usage has shifted to compound fertilizers at the expense of nitrogen fertilizers, despite the latter’s net consumption growth. The share of nitrogen fertilizer consumption fell from 74% to approximately 42% of total consumption. Meanwhile, the share of compound fertilizer consumption increased from under 5% to roughly 35%. Phosphate’s share fell from 21% to 15%, and the share of potash increased from under 5% to approximately 12% of total consumption.
- Founded in 1988 and headquartered in Beijing, Sinoagri Holding is a major importer and distributor of fertilizers in China. A subsidiary of China National Agricultural Means of Production Group Corporation (CNAMPGC), Sinoagri Holding is primarily known as a potassium/potash fertilizer supplier, but also distributes nitrogenous fertilizer, phosphate fertilizer, compound fertilizer, organic fertilizer, and urea. Other notable CNAMPGC subsidiaries include Shandong Sino-Agri United Biotechnology and CNAMPGC Sino-Agri Equipment.