Several food companies located in the Chinese city of Jiangsu interested in distributing Peruvian asparagus outside of Shanghai want to acquire said vegetable and requested information about it to the Commercial Office of Peru (OCEX ) based in Shanghai…Full Article: Fresh Plaza July 2016
- In April 2016, Peru exported (by air freight) fresh asparagus for the first time to mainland China. The asparagus was sold by the Citysuper supermarket chain in Shanghai.
- In 2013, China and Peru signed a phytosanitary agreement that paved the way for Peruvian asparagus exports.
- In 2015, Hong Kong imported 1,151 MTs of fresh asparagus while mainland China imported 12 MTs. Thailand was the top supplier, followed by Peru, USA, Australia, and the Netherlands.
- In 2014, mainland China only imported 2 MTs of fresh asparagus (from Thailand). However, Hong Kong imported 1,040 MTs of fresh asparagus during the same year. Hong Kong’s top suppliers by volume were Thailand, USA, Peru, and Australia.
- In 2010, mainland China produced an estimated 210,000 MTs of fresh asparagus.
- Founded in 1996 and headquartered in Hong Kong, Citysuper is a supermarket chain that sell gourmet and other high-end foods. In May 2010, the company opened its first store in Shanghai. As of mid-2016, the company had 21 stores in Hong Kong, 6 stores in Shanghai, and 6 stores in Taiwan.