Dairy company Yili was the most popular consumer brand in China last year, according to a study of global purchasing habits. The company improved its position from second last year after researchers from Kantar Worldpanel found its goods were bought an average of 7.8 times a year by 88.5 percent of the Chinese population during the 12-month period…Full Article: ECNS.cn May 2016
- Yili Group ranked first, and was followed by Master Kong (see Tingyi Cayman Islands), Mengniu and Want Want China.
- Founded in 1999 in Inner Mongolia, Mengniu Dairy (HKG:2319) is one of the leading dairy product manufacturers in China, with “MENGNIU” as its core brand. The Group has a diverse product range including liquid milk products, (such as UHT milk, milk beverages and yogurt), ice cream, and other dairy products (such as milk powder and cheese).
- Founded in 1992 and headquartered in Tianjin, Tingyi (HKG:0322) is a major Chinese producer and distributer of instant noodles, beverages and other prepackaged meals. In March 2012, Tingyi and PepsiCo established a strategic beverage alliance. As a result of the partnership, a beverage subsidiary of Tingyi (Asahi Beverages) became the franchise bottler for PepsiCo in China.
- Founded in 1962 and headquartered in Shanghai, Want Want China (HKG:0151) is a major beverages (e.g. juice, tea, coffee, milk) producer. The company also distributes processed food products and liquor.
- Yili Group (SHA:600887) traces its roots back to 1956 when it operated as a dairy cooperative in Hohhot, Inner Mongolia Region. In 1993, the company was restructured as Yili Group and began its ice cream operations. Currently, Yili produces milk, milk beverages, sorbet, ice cream, milk powder, milk tea powder, yoghurt, and cheese. Since 2005, the company has been China’s top supplier of milk powder and milk tea powder.