China COSCO Shipping on Friday [29 April 2016] won the draw to inaugurate the Expanded Panama Canal this June with one of its mega vessels, the Panama Canal Authority (ACP) announced. “The shipping line’s container vessel Andronikos will be making the inaugural transit,” the ACP said in a press release. The draw, which took place Friday morning at the Panama Canal Administration Building, pitted the Norwegian/Swedish shipping line Wallenius Wilhemsen Lines (WWL) against China COSCO…Full Article: ECNS.cn Apr 2016
- COSCO’s shipping vessel, Andronikos, has a maximum capacity of 9,400 Twenty-foot Equivalent Units (TEUs).
- In April 2016, China’s COSCO sold a livestock shipping vessel to a Singaporean company.
- In October 2015, China Shipping (Shanghai) began a grain shipping service with China’s COFCO Group. China Shipping Group and COFCO would reportedly import 3.5 million MTs of grain per year.
- In August 2015, China was considering merging China Ocean Shipping Group (COSCO) with China Shipping Group (Shanghai). COSCO is China’s largest shipping company by fleet size.
- In 2014, the top Chinese ports in terms of container traffic of Twenty-foot Equivalent Units (TEUs) are Shanghai, Shenzhen, Hong Kong, Ningbo-Zhoushan, Qingdao, Guangzhou, Tianjin, Dalian, Xiamen, Lianyungang and Yingkou. In 2014, Shanghai was the world’s busiest container port with 35.2 million TEU transported through the port. In 2013, Shenzhen surpassed Hong Kong as China’s second busiest container port.
- In 2013, COSCO built its first livestock shipping vessel for a Dutch company. The COSCO livestock shipping vessel contains water piping, a forage feeding systems, and other livestock transport equipment.
- Founded in 1961 and headquartered in Beijing, China Ocean Shipping (COSCO) is one of China’s top shipping companies. As of 2015, COSCO had 175 container ships.