Yashili said the infant formula, which hit the shelves of North Island supermarkets, was specially designed for the New Zealand market, manufactured and packaged at its state-of-the-art plant which opened in Pokeno, south of Auckland in November 2015. Yashili’s emphasis had been its commitment to product innovation for its formula product, Yashili New Zealand general manager William Zhao said in a statement. Each can of formula had a unique QR code allowing buyers to track its provenance and the production process by scanning the code with their smart phone…Full Article: China Daily Apr 2016
- Founded in July 2012, Yashili New Zealand opened its first factory in November 2015 and has a staff of 96 people.
- In November 2015, the Mengniu-Yashili plant in Pokeno (near Auckland), New Zealand, opened after a three year construction process. The factory has an annual production capacity of 52,000 MTs and was slated to begin exports to China in early 2016.
- In 2014, Yashili recorded a net profit loss of 40% due to poor demand and rising costs.
- From 2013 to 2014, Yashili’s market share in China decreased from 5.1% to 4.6%. In addition, rival Beingmate Baby & Child Food Co. announced a 72% profit decline during the first half of 2014.
- In June 2013, China Mengniu Dairy agreed to purchase a majority stake in Yashili International for over HK$11 billion ($1.42 billion). Mengniu bought its 75% stake in Yashili from chairman Zhang Lidian’s family and from the Washington DC-based Carlyle Group (private equity firm).
- Founded in 1999 in Inner Mongolia, Mengniu Dairy is one of the leading dairy product manufacturers in China, with “MENGNIU” as its core brand.
- Founded in 1983 and headquartered Guangdong province, Yashili International Holdings Ltd. is one of the leaders in the pediatric milk formula industry, as well as having a leading position in the soymilk powder market in China.