With over 5 million hectares of potatoes China is the biggest potato producer worldwide and the Chinese government plans to extend it to 10 million hectare until 2020. But today only 20 % of the crop is harvested by machinery which shows a high potential for modern agricultural technology. For more than 5 years the family owned company of Grimme has had its own subsidiary in China, near Beijing employing over 40 people. For the long-term professional operation of the market Grimme is building, on a 3 hectare site, a 13,000 square meter production factory and office building in the harbor city of Tianjin…Full Article: Grimme.com Jan 2016
- The Tianjin production factory is expected to come online in the spring of 2017.
- In December 2015, it was noted that China reportedly produces 90 million MTs of potatoes on 5.33 million ha of land annually.
- In March 2015, the Netherlands’ Farm Frites and Inner Mongolia’s Linkage Potato established a joint-venture in Wudan Town, Chifeng City, to produce French fries. The JV will reportedly consume 140,000 MTs of fresh potatoes and will begin supplying the Chinese market in 2017.
- In January 2015, according to China’s Ministry of Agriculture, the country will expand its potato cultivation area from approximately 5 million ha to 10 million (unspecified timeframe).
- In 2014, according to China’s Ministry of Agriculture, China produced 95 million MTs of potatoes on 5.6 million ha of land.