China is actively implementing the strategy of adding potato to the category of staple grains and will significantly raise its planting area, unit yield, total output and potato grain products over the coming several years, according to a potato conference held Thursday [17 December 2015]…Full Article: Xinhua Finance Dec 2015
- China reportedly produces 90 million MTs of potatoes on 5.33 million ha of land.
- In March 2015, the Netherlands’ Farm Frites and Inner Mongolia’s Linkage Potato established a joint-venture in Wudan Town, Chifeng City, to produce French fries. The JV will reportedly consume 140,000 MTs of fresh potatoes and will begin supplying the Chinese market in 2017.
- In January 2015, according to China’s Ministry of Agriculture, the country will expand its potato cultivation area from approximately 5 million ha to 10 million (unspecified timeframe).
- In 2014, according to China’s Ministry of Agriculture, China produced 95 million MTs of potatoes on 5.6 million ha of land.
- In 2013, according to FAOStat, China produced 88.9 million MTs of potatoes, 79 million MTs of sweet potatoes, 4.5 million MTs of cassava, and 1.8 million MTs of taro. Heilongjiang province produces approximately 8 million MTs of potatoes per year.