Laos on Thursday officially exported its first batch of rice to China, marking the start of rice exportation to China. A ceremony on the event was held in Laos’ southern Savannakhet Province on Thursday [10 December 2015]. Addressing the ceremony, Lao Minister of Agriculture and Forestry Phet Phomphiphak said the event reflects the relationship between Laos and China as “good neighbors, good friends, good comrades, good partners”…Full Article: ECNS.cn Dec 2015
- In October 2015, China’s Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine (AQSIQ) granted its approval to Xuanye (Lao) to export Laotian rice.
- In March 2015, China’s National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) granted permission to Hunan’s Xuanye (Lao) to export Laotian rice to China (quota of 8,000 MTs). The company was the first and only enterprise granted permission to export Laotian rice to China.
- Founded in 2013 and headquartered in Changsha, Hunan Province, Hunan Xuanye Ecological Agriculture Development Co., Ltd. is an investment company that focuses on grain (e.g. rice) production and marketing. Its subsidiaries include Hunan Xuanye Trading Co., Ltd., Xuanye (Lao) Sole Co. Ltd. and the Laos Rice Research Center. The company operates 20,000 ha in Laos’s top grain producing region of Savannakhet province. The company also produces Laotian honey and mushrooms.
- In 2013, Laos produced approximately 3.4 million MTs of paddy rice (e.g. unhusked).
- In 2012 and 2013, China purchased more than 1.6 million MTs of rice per year from Vietnam and roughly 500,000 MTs per year from Pakistan. The vast majority of these imports (80% by volume) were funneled in via the southern Chinese ports of Shenzhen, Huangpu, and Hong Kong.