Several Burger King outlets in Hong Kong have closed, leaving only two stores operating — one on The Peak and the other at the airport, local media reported on Wednesday [2 December 2015]. The closed branches are in Wan Chai, Tsim Sha Tsui, Yau Ma Tei, Wong Tai Sin and Tseung Kwan O. The Labour Department has received enquiries from affected workers…Full Article: ECNS.cn Dec 2015
- The franchisee of the closed restaurants, Perfect Combo, has been in court over unpaid rent amounting to HKD 8 million (~US$1 million).
- During the 1980s, Burger entered the Hong Kong market, but subsequently closed all franchises in the 1990s before returning to Hong Kong’s international airport in 2003.
- As of late 2014, Burger King had approximately 300 outlets located across 60 cities in China.
- In 2005, Burger King first entered mainland China when it opened a restaurant in Shanghai.
- In 1980, Burger King first entered the Hong Kong market at Mong Kok West.