China has completed gene sequencing of more than 70 percent of important crops including the rice, wheat, corn and cucumber and initially mastered functions and characteristics of the genetic gene of those crops, with its research leading the international peers, according to the Agricultural Genomics 2015, the Xinhua-run cnstock.com reported on Wednesday [16 November 2015]…Full Article: Xinhua Finance Nov 2015
- From 16 to 18 November 2015, Shenzhen hosted The Agricultural Genomics 2015 conference.
- Major Chinese genetically modified crop companies include Hefei Fengle Seed, Wanxiang Doneed, and Yuan Longping High-tech Agriculture.
- In October 2014, Chinese scientists completed the genome sequencing of the adzuki bean. Adzuki bean is popularly consumed in East Asia as a sweetened red bean paste. Production of the bean is centered in China and Japan.
- In October 2014, Chinese scientists completed the genome sequencing of the Chinese jujube tree. The Chinese jujube (Zizyphus jujube) is a black/red fruit that is consumed fresh or in processed form (e.g. candied, canned, or dried).
- Established in 1999 and headquartered in Changsha, Hunan province, Long Ping High-Tech Agriculture produces and distributes specialized crop seeds. These include hybrid rice seeds, hybrid pepper, hybrid rape, hybrid corn, hybrid cotton, musk melon and vegetables. The company manages various subsidiaries including Hunan Longping High-tech Nongping Seeds, Hunan Xiangyan Seeds, Hunan Longping High-tech Cotton & Rape Seeds, Agrochemical Development Company, Hunan Nongwei Science and Technology, Hunan Kangyida Science and Technology, and Hunan Longke Agricultural Materials.
- Founded in 1995 and headquartered in Harbin, Heilongjiang province, Wanxiang Doneed is a major producer and distributor of seeds. Its product line includes corn seeds, sunflower seeds, cotton seeds, wheat seeds, forage seeds, and others. The company also manufactures GM crops and has been traded on the Shanghai Stock Exchange since 2002.
- Founded in 1984 and headquartered in Hefei, Anhui province, Hefei Fengle Seed is a major producer and distributor of seeds. Its product line includes rice seeds, corn seeds, melon seeds (incl. watermelon), vegetable seeds, forage seeds (e.g. milkvetch). The company also manufactures GM crops and has been traded on the Shenzhen Stock Exchange since 2000.