Linze county nestles at the foot of the Qilian mountains range and has been a grain production center since ancient times. Between the Gobi Desert in the north and the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau in the south, this fertile region is nurtured by snow water from the mountains and is ideal for cultivating corn seed. Indeed, the spread of corn as a major Chinese crop originated from the Hexi Corridor which includes Linze…Full Article: China Daily Nov 2015
- In 2014, Originseed sold 28,000 MTs of corn seed (40 different types in total) to China, Russia, and Central Asian countries.
- In 2014, Linze County cultivated corn on 20,000 ha and produced 150,000 MTs of corn seed.
- Founded in 1998, Originseed is wholly owned by Origin Agritech. In Linze County, Originseed has a 120,000 sq. meter seed processing center and rents approximately 3,000 ha of land from farmers.
- In 2014, China cultivated corn on 37 million ha. This figure was expected to increase by 1.9% in 2015.
- From 2012 to 2013, Chinese corn production increased from 205 million MTs to 218 MTs. In 2013, Heilongjiang produced 32 million MTs of corn, accounting for 15% of China’s total output. Jilin produced 27 million MTs or roughly 13% of the country’s corn output.
- Founded in 1997 and headquartered in the Zhong-Guan-Cun (ZGC) Life Science Park in Beijing, Origin Agritech is an agricultural biotechnology company that specializes in the development of Genetically Modified (GM) crops. The company’s produces and distributes GM corn, rice, and canola. Origin also operates a winter nursery in Hainan province.