Police on the southern island province of Hainan have intercepted their largest ever haul of smuggled frozen meat. The 660 tonnes of beef, ox tripe, chicken and chicken feet from Brazil, Argentina, Poland and Australia filled 18 shipping containers and is worth more than 21.5 million yuan (3.4 million U.S. dollars), the border police of Danzhou City said on Monday [2 November 2015]…Full Article: China.org.cn Nov 2015
- On 27 September 2015, Chinese law enforcement authorities the found the ship birthed at Baimajing fishing port, which was unusual as the port typically does allow container ship mooring.
- In June 2015, approximately 800 MTs of frozen meat products were seized in Hunan province.
- In July 2015, China’s coast guard seized 200 MTs of frozen meat products (e.g. chicken’s feet, pig’s feet and tongues) in Hainan province.
- From January to June 2015, China confiscated 420,000 MTs of illicit frozen meat products.
- In June 2015, China halted a Japanese beef smuggling ring that imported the beef via Cambodia-Laos-Yunnan-Shanghai.
- In May 2015, a dozen people were jailed in Zhejiang province for injecting water into cattle for profit.
- In February 2015, China arrested nearly three dozen people who allegedly smuggled 6,000 tons of beef into the country. Anti-smuggling authorities based in Dalian, Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen and Guangzhou participated the nationwide crackdown.