Potatoes seem like an unlikely ingredient for ice cream, but the allure of tasting the strange concoction had dozens of visitors lining-up at the China Kitchen exhibition at the 2015 World Potato Congress in Beijing. The 1,000-square-meter stall was serving up to 100 potato-based foods, from noodles to sweet purple drinks, developed by Xisen Potato Industry Co. Ltd., the country’s biggest potato producer. By combining potatoes with traditional Chinese cuisine, the company is at the congress looking for partners to promote their new products being tested at the China Kitchen…Full Article: Xinhua July 2015
- In March 2015, the Netherlands’ Farm Frites and Inner Mongolia’s Linkage Potato established a joint-venture in Wudan Town, Chifeng City, to produce French fries. The JV will reportedly consume 140,000 MTs of fresh potatoes and will begin supplying the Chinese market in 2017.
- Linkage Potato Co. Ltd. is a potato production (e.g. tuber seeds, fresh potatoes, and flakes) company that is based in Inner Mongolia. As of mid-2015, the company operated five farms on roughly 4,667 ha of land.
- In January 2015, according to China’s Ministry of Agriculture, the country will expand its potato cultivation area from approximately 5 million ha to 10 million (unspecified timeframe).
- In 2014, according to China’s Ministry of Agriculture, China produced 95 million MTs of potatoes on 5.6 million ha of land.
- In 2013, according to FAOStat, China produced 88.9 million MTs of potatoes, 79 million MTs of sweet potatoes, 4.5 million MTs of cassava, and 1.8 million MTs of taro. Heilongjiang province produces approximately 8 million MTs of potatoes per year.
- Founded in November 2005 and headquartered in Laoling City, Shandong Province, Xisen Potato Industry Co. Ltd. is a major producer and distributor of potato tuber seeds. The company carries out research and development on anti-viral potatoes for production in Inner Mongolia, Xinjiang, and other areas of China.