More than 200 tonnes of smuggled frozen meat has been seized by coast guard in south China’s Hainan Province. Forty-nine suspects, six vehicles and a boat were seized at the same time, the provincial coast guard authority said on Tuesday [21 July 2015]. Officers were informed on July 13 that a large amount of smuggled frozen meat from Vietnam would be transported to the provincial capital city of Haikou the next day by sea, via the Beibu Gulf in the southwestern Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region…Full Article: China Daily July 2015
- The smuggled meat included chicken’s feet, pig’s feet and tongues.
- From January to June 2015, China confiscated 420,000 MTs of illicit frozen meat products.
- In June 2015, China halted a Japanese beef smuggling ring that imported the beef via Cambodia-Laos-Yunnan-Shanghai.
- In May 2015, a dozen people were jailed in Zhejiang province for injecting water into cattle for profit.
- In February 2015, China arrested nearly three dozen people who allegedly smuggled 6,000 tons of beef into the country. Anti-smuggling authorities based in Dalian, Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen and Guangzhou participated the nationwide crackdown.