China’s clampdown on extravagance and corruption has been a dark cloud for makers of most luxury goods, but a new report suggests winemakers are seeing a big silver lining. “To start with, there are 37 million Chinese who will reach drinking age in the next five years,” says Guillaume Deglise, CEO of Vinexpo, the world’s biggest international wine and spirits exposition. “That’s more than the population of Canada. Also, the middle class in China is growing by millions, despite the recent economic slowdown. Finally, per-capita consumption of wine in China remains very low-1.4 liters in 2013 compared with 12 liters in the United States. So the growth opportunity is definitely in China and the Asia-Pacific.”…Full Article: China Daily Feb 2015

Key Point

  • In 2013, China consumed approximately 1.45 billion liters of wine (~1.94 billion bottles or 162 million 9-liter cases).

ChinaAg Comment

  • In 2012, China produced 1.38 billion liters of wine, placing it near Argentinian production levels, but behind those of France, Italy, Spain, and the United States. In total, the provinces of Shandong, Jilin, Hebei, and Henan comprised 81% of 2012 production, while 19 other provinces/regions made up the remaining 19% of production.

Similar Posts by ChinaAg

Spread the word. Share this post!