Premium liquor maker Kweichow Moutai Co Ltd is planning to enter supermarkets and open online stores to offset flagging margins from the recent government austerity measures. The company said on Monday that it was forming a joint venture with Yonghui Superstores and Shenzhen Guomaoyuan Commerce and Trade Co Ltd to sell its products through Yonghui supermarkets…Full Article: China Daily Aug 2014
- The profit breakdown will be 60% for Moutai and 20% each for Yonghui and Shenzhen Guomaoyuan.
- In February 2013, China’s NDRC (National Development and Reform Commission) fined Kweichow Moutai CNY 247 million (US$39.5 million) due to price fixing.
- In January 2013, the NDRC and Price Bureau in Guizhou Province investigated Kweichow Moutai in according with China’s 2008 Anti-monopoly law. Moutai was forcing distributors to sell at high prices
- In November 2012, Chinese product safety officials found excessive levels of plasticizers in a sample baijiu liquor that was manufactured by Jiugui Liquor Co.
- Established in 1999 in Guizhou province (southwestern China), Kweichow Moutai is a state-owned enterprise in China, specializing in the production and sales of Maotai liquor, together with the production and sale of beverage, food and packaging material, and development of anti-counterfeiting technology.