The use rights of 340 million mu (22.7 million hectares) of farmland had been transferred to larger farming entities as of the end of 2013, the Ministry of Agriculture said on Sunday. The transferred land accounts for 26 percent of the farmland under “the household contract responsibility system”, said Zhang Hongyu, a senior official of the ministry. The transferred acreage tripled the size at the end of 2008, he added…Full Article: The Global Times Feb 2014
- In 1978, China began redistributing collectivized farmland to farmers under the newly established household contract responsibility system
- In December 2013, it was reported that China plans to initiate a farm land right program in two provinces in 2014, with hopes to expand the program to the entire country by 2015. The initiative began as a pilot program in 2008.
Similar Posts by ChinaAg
- China Announces Pilot Program in 7 Locations to Allow Farmers to Trade in Land Rights for Shares in Farming Enterprises
- Xi Jinping Warns Local Government Officials Charged with Transferring Farmland to Take a Step-by-Step Approach and Not a “Great Leap Forward”
- China’s NPC Extends Land Use Pilot Program Until the End of 2018