Belarus has got the right to supply beef and poultry to China, Belarusian Agriculture and Food Deputy Minister Alexander Subbotin said on Monday [10 July 2017]. Subbotin made the remarks to the press prior to the negotiations between Belarusian Agriculture and Food Minister Leonid Zayats and Director of China’s General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine Zhi Shuping…Full Article: China Daily July 2017
- According to the Belarusian Agriculture and Food Deputy Minister, China has approved 21 beef and five chicken processing facilities for export.
- In June 2017, according to the Belarusian Agriculture and Food Minister, officials from China’s General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine (AQSIQ) will inspect meat processing facilities. A month later in July, an agreement will reportedly be signed that will allow Belarus to export beef to China. At the time, Belarus had 34 dairy companies that can export to mainland China.
- In April 2017, China’s UnionPay cards became accepted at BPS-Sberbank banks in Belarus. During the same month, Belarus’ President promoted increased agricultural exports to Hunan Province.
- In March 2017, an agricultural official for Harbin (Heilongjiang Province) led a Chinese delegation to Belarus. The delegation was interested in working with Belarus on agricultural projects related to harvesting machinery for wheat, rice, and potatoes. This includes continuing cooperation with Belarus’ Gomselmash (farming machinery company) and expanding ties with Belarus’ Spartak (chocolate) candy company. For instance, a joint venture between Gomselmash and China’s Zoomlion may be established, while Spartak candies have been certified (as of March 2017) for sale in eight Chinese provinces. Also during this month, freight train service between Sichuan Province’s Chengdu and Minsk began operating.
- In February 2017, Australian supermarket chain, Woolworths, announced it would accept UnionPay cards. According to China UnionPay Co., Australia is home to the largest number of UnionPay (payment) terminals outside of China. During the same month, a Belarusian-Chinese company (producer of construction and utilities special-purpose vehicles) was registered in the Mogilev Free Enterprise Zone, eastern Belarus.
- In January 2017, freight train service between Hunan Province’s Changsha and Minsk began operating. This was Hunan Province’s fifth international freight rail route, following Hamburg (Germany), Warsaw (Poland), Moscow (Russia), and Tashkent (Uzbekistan).
- In May 2016, China and Belarus reached a trade agreement on meat during Shanghai’s SIAL 2016 international food expo. Hong Kong would reportedly import meat by-products from Belarus. Chinese imports of Belarusian beef and poultry were still under negotiation at the time.
- In 2015, Belarus exports just under US$15 million worth of food products to China.
- In April 2015, 12 Belarusian food companies were permitted to export dairy products to China. During the same month, China’s Hangzhou Wahaha Group (beverages and soft drinks) was exploring business/economic opportunities with Belarus. During the same month, Belarus exported 20 MTs of milk products (powder and pasteurized) to China as an initial test shipment. Also in April 2015, Belarusian farm machinery manufacturer, Gomselmash, and China’s Zongshen announced plans to establish factories (corn and grain harvesters) in Gansu Province and Hebei Province.
- In 2012, the Harbin Dongjin Gomel Agricultural Machine Company JV sold 660 forage harvesters and ear corn harvesters. This was triple the number of harvesters that were sold in 2011. The JV specializes in the manufacturing of 4YZQ-4 ear corn harvesters and self-propelled forage harvesters KSK-600 “Palesse FS60”.
- In 2011, ATMs at GazpromBank branches in Belarus began accepting UnionPay cards.
- From 2009 to 2010, mainland China imported an average of 538 MTs of Belarusian milk powder (i.e. concentrated milk) annually. However, shipments stopped in 2011.
- In 2009, Gomselmash (Belarus) and Dong Jin Group Corporation (China) established the Harbin Dongjin Gomel Agricultural Machine Company joint-venture in Heilongjiang province.
Hong Kong Trends