China on Monday [3 April 2017] donated 12,173 tonnes of rice to Zimbabwe to assist vulnerable people that were affected by drought which wreaked havoc last year…Full Article: AllAfrica Apr 2017
- In March 2017, China donated US$1 million to Zimbabwe to aid families affected by February 2017 flood.
- In 2016, China had donated 19,000 MTs of rice as food aid to Zimbabwe.
- In September 2016, China donated 5,500 MTs (out of the promised 19,000 MTs) of rice to Zimbabwe. Of the 5,500 MTs of rice initially donated, Zimbabwe’s Health Ministry received 100 MTs and Zimbabwe Prisons and Correctional Services received 50 MTs. Local orphanages and resting homes for the elderly were also slated to receive rice.
- In March 2015, China donated 5,400 MTs of rice to Zimbabwe as food aid. According to Zimbabwe’s Public Service, Labor and Social Welfare Minister, 100 MTs of the Chinese rice was to be used to feed the country’s prison inmates.
- From 2009 to 2013, Chinese (i.e. mainland China, Hong Kong, and Macau) of Zimbabwean tobacco products increased from US$94 million to US$530 million. In general, approximately 80% of Zimbabwean exports to China are comprised of tobacco products, cotton, and other crops.
Hong Kong Trends