Vietnam’s Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD) will soon contact Chinese authorities, asking them to send an expert delegation to Vietnam to assess more businesses which could be eligible for exporting rice to China, according to Tran Thanh Nam, MARD deputy minister on Thursday…Full Article: ECNS.cn Mar 2017
- In March 2017, China’s AQSIQ authorized 22 Vietnamese enterprises to export rice to mainland China.
- In September 2016, Vietnam’s Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development proposed that Jasmine 85 (USA origin), Nang Hoa 9 (USA-Vietnam origin), and ST 21 (China, similar to RVT rice) rice varieties be used as the national standard.
- In June 2016, Vietnam and China signed agreements relating to Vietnamese rice and rice bran exports. As a result of the new phytosanitary protocol, Chinese officials will carry out inspections of rice shipments in Vietnam as opposed to in China.
- From 2011 to 2015, Chinese rice imports increased from 569,000 MTs to 3.35 million MTs. China’s top rice suppliers include Vietnam, Thailand, Myanmar, Pakistan, and Cambodia.
- In 2014, China comprised 40% of Vietnam’s rice exports, and 80% to 90% of the country’s rubber, dragon fruit, and cassava (powder) exports.
- In August 2014, China planned to close some border points along the Chinese-Vietnamese border, including the Tan Thanh checkpoint in Lang Son Province (across from Guangxi region). Chinese authorities stated that the checkpoints need to be closed in order to institute new regulations on farm produce imports.
- From January to April 2013, 64% of Vietnam’s canceled rice contracts were with Chinese partners.
- In 2012 and 2013, China purchased more than 1.6 million MTs of rice per year from Vietnam and roughly 500,000 MTs per year from Pakistan. The vast majority of these imports (80% by volume) were funneled in via the southern Chinese ports of Shenzhen, Huangpu, and Hong Kong.
- From 2006 to 2011, Thailand was the primary supplier of rice to the China. Starting in 2010, a shift towards Vietnamese imports began to occur and by 2012, Vietnam overtook Thailand as the top supplier to China.
Hong Kong Trends
Similar Posts by ChinaAg
- China and Vietnam Sign Phytosanitary Protocol on Rice Shipments
- Vietnam’s Ministry of Agriculture Proposes Adopting Three Rice Varieties, including a Chinese Rice Variety, as the National Standard
- China to Close Border Checkpoints along Vietnamese Border While New Regulations on Farm Produce Imports are Instituted